Sunday, March 28, 2010

New Frozen Yogurt Bars



Fro-yo girl here. I was pleasantly surprised to see new fro-yo options in the supermarket freezer section. Safeway's Eating Right came out with a line of fro-yo. I spotted three flavors: Vanilla, Black Cherry Chocolate Chip and Sugar-Free Vanilla ($3.99 for 1.5 qts). Haagen Dazs added a peach flavor fro-yo and their vanilla fro-yo comes in the tiny single serve cup ($1).



I was particularly excited to see the new Jamba Juice yogurt and sorbet bars. They come in three flavors: Coconut Pineapple Passion Smashin', Vanilla Strawberry Jubilation, and Vanilla Blueberry Pomegranate Perfection. I bought a pack of the Vanilla Strawberry Jubilation bars ($4.29 regular price, $3.49 on sale at Safeway). The all natural, low fat bars contain pro-biotic yogurt cultures. They're really good! The bar is a pretty pink & white swirl and the texture is creamy, smooth and firm. It does taste like strawberries. The bar is a bit tangy but also quite sweet. I'm surprised it's only 80 calories. I would get these again. 4.5 out of 5 stars.



Weight Watchers new strawberry smoothie bar ($5.99 regular price, $3.89 on sale at Safeway) contains yogurt. The popsicle is small (maybe 1/2 the size of your typical popsicle). It's creamy with real chunks of strawberry. It tastes like a very sweet, creamy strawberry ice cream. It has corn syrup. At first I liked it but then I noticed a slightly bitter aftertaste. One bar is 60 calories. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

5 comments:

stellaincognita said...

I've been curious about those Jamba Juice bars--thanks for the review :)
The Safeway froyo is not new. It just has new packaging. And it's unfortunately fake-tasting and not very good. :(

Bonnibella said...

The weight watcher ones sound like something I should try. They usually have less sugar than other brands.

p.s. Do you know if any fro-yo carries sugar-free not no sugar added fro-yo? I've been on search with no luck.

Lolia S said...

Oh, I never paid that much attention to sugar free vs. no sugar added. I find that fro-yo needs sugar to taste good. Some self-serve shops have sugar free options I think. I think Tuttimelon is one of them.

- FYG

Lolia S said...

I didn't think the Eating Right fro-yo would be any good. I didn't buy any. I'd like to try more of the Jamba Juice bars.

- FYG

stellaincognita said...

There is no such thing as 100% sugar free froyo, though some are called "sugar-free." Dairy has trace amounts of sugar in it, as do most other additives such froyos use.