Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dannon vs. Yoplait: Greek Yogurt Taste Test


Fro-yo girl here. I've noticed that the Greek yogurt (non-frozen) is increasingly popular, and that this trend parallels the fro-yo trend. Both Greek yogurt and tart fro-yo have that tangy flavor that people have grown to love. Check your local supermarket and chances are you'll find many more yogurt choices now compared to a year ago. Recently, Dannon and Yoplait introduced greek yogurt.

* Dannon Greek Yogurt: I tried the vanilla flavor (99 cents, on sale at Lucky, regularly $1.49). The yogurt had a slightly fluffy whipped texture and a smooth creaminess. I liked the sour tang and the subtle vanilla flavor. A pleasant surprise.

* Yoplait Greek Yogurt ($1.09 regular price at Lucky): It claims to have twice the protein of the leading yogurt. I tried the honey vanilla flavor (other flavors include strawberry & blueberry). The texture is creamy and flavor is sour, chalky, and horrible. Another negative: they added lemon juice concentrate. I would never get this again.

The winner: Clearly, Dannon.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

10 comments:

bananas. said...

i was wondering what greek yogurt was. we were just at the supermarket buying some for our meatballs. bahaha!

Joanne Olivieri said...

I love Greek yogurt. When I was young my Aunt would make it. I didn't know Dannon or Yoplait had it so I'll take your advice and try the Dannon. Thanks for the heads upp

Lolia S said...

I'm too lazy to make my own Greek yogurt. Dannon's decent but I like Fage and Trader Joe's greek yogurt better. I think I saw Fage at Safeway?

- FYG

Anonymous said...

Not a froyo question. How can I get to the top of Twin Peaks by MUNI?

Lolia S said...

I have no idea. Check http://tripplanner.transit.511.org

- FYG

Bonnibella said...

I've grown on Greek yogurt, it was big at the Fancy Food show this year so it's definitely a growing trend.

Lizzy said...

I've been eating the Dannon Greek yogurt for a few weeks now. I reall love the vanilla. All flavors are pretty good, but vanilla is amost like a dessert. My daughter bought me a few of the Yoplait Honey Vanilla Greek...O-M-G..it was AWFUL! I literally couldn't finish it...it was so bad. I haven't tried the other brands because Dannon is significantly less expensive...but yoplait...never again...hor-ri-ble!

Lolia S said...

Hi Lizzy,

Thanks for your comment. I should try to the other flavors (I forgot to). I went back to my old habit of getting my Greek yogurt at TJ's because I go there all the time.

- FYG

Anonymous said...

I just now trying a Dannon Greek plain yogurt and is it very good. I also like the Brown Cow brand. I agree that the Yoplait greek is not as good. They also add some sort of gelatin to make it thicker. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the flavored yogurts taste too sweet? Esp the Yoplait light flavors.

Lolia S said...

I agree with you. Some of the flavored yogurts are way too sweet. Might be due to the use of artificial sweeteners?

- FYG