Friday, July 5, 2019

The Journey From Yogurtland Pasadena (Lake) Regular to Former Customer


Fro-yo girl here. By all measures, I was a loyal Yogurtland Pasadena (Lake) customer. I went at least once a week, knew most of the employees, knew the owner, earned Platinum membership every year, etc. Once I went out of town for a week and they noticed my absence. I was named Customer of the Month in 2016. Yes, I went to other Yogurtland locations, but I preferred Yogurtland Lake. I explained why I loved it when I selected it as the best Yogurtland in the area back in 2016.

But as they say, all good things must come to an end. Yogurtland Lake’s ownership changed in December 2018. It didn’t take long for me to notice the difference. It seemed like all the old employees left. Prices went way up. Now Yogurtland locations in Pasadena are 15 cents/oz or more higher than other Yogurtland locations in the area.

I can tell that things are amiss without even stepping inside. For example, they stopped keeping up with the promotional posters. They didn’t start handing out the new purple spoons on time. The new promotion started on July 1. As of July 4, they don’t have the new signs up or the spoons. In the good old days, they had their act together. Now it seems like they don’t care.

Mr. Froyo encouraged me to read other people’s reviews of Yogurtland Lake and I found an interesting review from a former employee, Alana M. I thought I would share it because it seems like it’s true. I remember her. She was really nice. My sympathies are with the former employees.

I switched my Yogurtland location on the Real Rewards app to Yogurtland Alhambra. It’s very sad to see what’s happened to what used to be a wonderful location. I go out of my way to avoid Yogurtland Pasadena now. It’s gone from best to worst!

This is a cautionary tale. New owners can take over and improve things or they can make things much worse.


* YOGURTLAND: 415 S Lake Ave., Pasadena, CA 91101

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many of the original Yogurtland franchisees have sold out and moved on. Most YLs and Menchies are doing half the volume of those heady days of 2008-9. Many of the original leases that were done during the financial crisis are now expiring and Landlords are absolutely soaking the franchisees with huge rent increases if they're offering renewals at all. Get ready to see shops from all brands change hands from established operators to dreamers who think it's still 2009. Frozen Yogurt's always a boom bust proposition. It's now in full bust mode.