Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Yooli Farmers Cheese Review



Fro-yo girl here. Yooli Foods launched their line of cultured farmer’s cheese products in 2016. I only spotted Yooli’s farmers cheese cups recently, probably because they’re placed near cottage cheese and that’s not an area that I usually look. Farmer’s cheese (or farmer cheese) is similar to cottage cheese. It’s made by pressing the moisture from cottage cheese. The end result is drier and firmer. I’ve had farmer’s cheese before but never the sweetened kind. My inclination would be to use it in savory applications.

I found Yooli at Super King Altadena. They had three flavors: Vanilla, Honey & Lemon Zest, and Strawberry. The cup design and size are reminiscent of yogurt. One cup is 5 oz. Super King was selling Yooli for $1.79, regular price. Yooli farmer’s cheese is low lactose, gluten free, and probiotic.

* Vanilla: While it’s drier and firmer than cottage cheese, it was still moist, with small curds. It was sweet but quite tangy. I found the sweetness somewhat strange but it went well with tart blueberries. It was also filling. The flavor is mild and dominated by tanginess. I could taste the vanilla though. One serving is 150 calories, 2g fat, 13g sugars, and 19g protein.

* Honey & Lemon Zest: This had a slightly bitter flavor that I didn’t like as much. But the honey and lemon zest flavors aren’t super strong.

Ingredients (Vanilla): Skim milk, cream, water, calcium chloride, organic cane sugar, vanilla extract, vitamin D3, live and active cultures (acidophilus, Bifidobacterium).

Sweet farmer’s cheese is something I’d have to get used to. I used to like cottage cheese, but I added savory things to it. I did like the farmer's cheese as a spread that I put on my waffle though. 


Yooli is positioned as an alternative to yogurt. I didn’t dislike Yooli but I didn’t like it as much as yogurt. It does have a lot of protein though, if that’s what you’re into. I wish they had a plain variety, but then again, I could just buy farmer’s cheese at that point (though farmer’s cheese doesn’t usually come in single serve cups).

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

4 out of 5 stars.

* SUPER KING: 2260 Lincoln Ave., Altadena, CA 91001

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: