Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fro-yo Seattle report


Fro-yo girl here. Last week I was in Seattle, looking for fro-yo of course. It's odd how hard it is to find fro-yo downtown, while teriyaki and pho are EVERYWHERE. There is a fro-yo place at Pike Place Market (Shy Giant) but it was closed due to remodeling. Somehow I missed the Red Mango (must have walked right past it) on Pike. YoBerry seemed to have odd, irregular hours (it was closed when I dropped by); it's attached to a teriyaki restaurant and had only one machine (2 fro-yo flavors).


Many places (e.g., Utopia, Crazy Cherry, Cafe Koi) were full serve with only 1 or 2 machines and many neighborhoods were without fro-yo shops. The highest concentration of fro-yo is by the University of Washington. I tried Utopia and Cafe Koi. They were both quite good. Utopia was my favorite because of its unique black sesame fro-yo flavor.

Self-serve fro-yo arrived last year when Menchie's opened in Queen Anne. Another self-serve shop, zoeyogurt opened this month in First Hill. And Yogurtland is coming to Capitol Hill.

I need to get my hands on the Menchie's signature spoon. It would be incredible if all the teriyaki places started offering fro-yo.

You know you love me. XO XO, fro-yo girl.

* UTOPIA FROZEN YOGURT: 600 5th Ave S, Seattle, WA
* CAFE KOINONIA: 4100 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA
* YOBERRY: 823 3rd Ave, Seattle, WA

No comments: