Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fro-yo Alternative: Ice Cream Wins


Fro-yo girl here. I recently posed the question to my readers, which frozen dessert do you like best when fro-yo isn't available? Ice cream and gelato were the clear favorites, clocking in with 40% and 36% of the vote, respectively. Ice cream and gelato were far preferred to sorbet (6%), shaved ice (6%) and frozen custard (10%).

I always assume that the people who respond to my poll really love fro-yo and it's interesting that they chose the higher fat, creamier alternatives, but not frozen custard (which is the most similar in form to fro-yo). I have heard that fro-yo sales were primarily affecting ice cream sales, so the findings are consistent with that. Toppings for ice cream and fro-yo share the greatest similarity. Fro-yo was originally positioned as a low fat substitute for ice cream.

I've noticed a trend of fro-yo shops starting to carry ice cream as well and vice versa (e.g., Baskin Robbins, Coldstone). But then some fro-yo shops also have sorbet, shaved ice and frozen custard. Next month, we'll find out how readers feel about organic frozen yogurt.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

No comments: