Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Blogiversary Number 13


Fro-yo girl here. I’m celebrating blogiversary #13 on October 20 and reflecting back on the previous year. While the coronavirus pandemic is far from over, things are much better in California now, thanks to higher than average vaccination rates and the continued requirement to wear masks indoors. Most self-serve froyo shops have resumed offering self-serve. While some shops still offer hand sanitizer and gloves, they seem less vigilant about it.

As for froyo, it’s still been a tough period with supply and labor shortages, as well as inflation and higher prices. Some shops changed ownership during the pandemic or are barely getting by. Older froyo shops are closing for good, including multiple locations of Menchie’s, Yogurtland, and Pinkberry, but a few new ones have opened. There have been way more new froyo flavors and new froyo spoons than in 2020, so that’s something for which to be thankful. It does seem like froyo innovation has waned though.

I was able to catch one episode of the new Gossip Girl (wasn’t a fan) but it’s on HBO Max, to which I don’t have a subscription. I got tired of those boba ice cream bars and I like purple rice yogurt but I don’t crave them the way I do froyo.

I’ve only been to one grand opening this year: Yoga-urt’s grand opening in Santa Monica on October 16. I suspect it’s the only froyo shop grand opening I’ll attend this year. But, I’m still going to froyo shops that I haven’t been to in and around Los Angeles and Orange County. There are still plenty left but the majority are chains. I did have some wonderful new froyo at Tahini in Alameda; I’m still loving plain Greek froyo with Greek toppings!

Last year I only attended one froyo grand opening, Razzle Dazzle in Upland. Sadly, they closed last summer.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: