Tuesday, January 1, 2019

My Froyo Wish List for 2019


Fro-yo girl here. It’s time for my annual froyo wish list for 2019. Before revealing my wishes for the new year, I like to see if any of my previous wishes from this time last year came true.

Last January I wished for the following:

First, let's see if any of my 2018 wishes came true. Last year I wished for:

* More soy froyo (or tofu soft serve)

Update: The anti-soy sentiment seems to explain the lack of new soymilk based flavors, though I did have some great soymilk soft serve at Big Softee, the new soft serve ice cream shop in Monterey Park, CA.

* Bring back the tart

Update: It was a bad year for tart flavors – didn’t see many new ones. However, Pinkberry did come through with a tarter tart flavor, the new green tea lemonade. It was like they read my mind since the flavor I missed the most was green tea tart froyo. Thanks Pinkberry!

* More Halloween froyo spoons

Update: It was another very slow year for collectible froyo spoons, but Menchie’s did come out with color changing Halloween spoons. I have so many froyo spoons that it’s probably good that the era of collectible froyo spoons is nearing an end. At this point, I don’t want too many new froyo spoons and I’d like to get rid of some of the extra ones that I have.

* Good bubble waffles

Update: Several new places offer these but they’re not froyo shops. Most of them are boba and ice cream shops. Cauldron Ice Cream’s bubble waffles are accessible but they aren’t that good.

So, some of my 2018 froyo wishes did come true. Interestingly, my 2017 wish of trying llaollao is a little closer to coming true, since they opened their first location in the US (in Houston). The next US location will be in Miami. Way back in 2013 I wished to be served by a froyo robot and that seems likely to happen soon.

My froyo wishes for 2019 are:

  • Have Pita GR open in Pasadena. Pita GR opened this year in Downey, CA. I love their housemade frozen Greek yogurt. It’s amazing, even better than Souvla’s. I know they plan to open a Greek donut place next but I’m hoping to see them in Pasadena in a year or two. 
  • Yellow sesame/tahini froyo. Mr. Froyo has been asking about this flavor for years, so I guess it’s more his wish than mine, but I do love tahini. 
  • Frozen skyr. I still love skyr and would love to try a frozen version. Or I’d be happy with a lower sugar froyo, even if it means higher fat (and it probably would). 

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: