Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Case of the Mysterious Fro-yo Machine


Fro-yo girl here. One day I was shopping at Le Asia Supermarket in San Ramon and I spotted an old soft serve frozen yogurt machine in the food court area. It wasn't plugged in. The machine had pictures of fro-yo and the Dreyer's Grand Soft name all over it. I've never seen a machine like that in use and it looked quite old. I asked if they planned to use it and they said no...I wandered by again a few weeks later and it was still in the same place, unused. Is Le Asia so junky that they store random old equipment inside? Do they have plans for the machine?

I found an old article about the machine, dated 1994, which leads me to believe the machine is about 15 years old. Maybe it should be placed in a fro-yo museum.

"Dreyer's/Edy's Grand Ice Cream is promoting Grand Soft, a program offering fat-free and low-fat frozen yogurt, as well as high-butterfat ice cream. A four-head machine dispenses product from collapsible 2.5-gal. bags. Dreyer's employs a sales team exclusively for Grand Soft and, as of April, had placed approximately 400 machines nationwide. Another 600 placements are expected by summer's end, thanks largely to a new contract with Wal-Mart. Dreyer's acquired Polar Express, manufacturer of its Grand Soft dispenser, in March."

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

No comments: