Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Painful Froyo Shop Closures of 2021

Rockin' Yogurt, Santa Barbara

Fro-yo girl here. I’m usually sad when a froyo shop closes but some closures hurt a lot more than others. This year, I’d like to spend time acknowledging the closure of the following froyo shops (in alphabetical order):

Frozo's, 1000 Lafayette St Suite F, Santa Clara, CA 95050


I'm not sure when Frozo's closed exactly - it could have been in 2020. The shop was near Santa Clara University, so I'm sure the pandemic did them in. Frozo's opened in 2007 and it was the first self-serve froyo shop in the Bay Area. It was the first place I served my own froyo. I remember I got plain tart the first time. The last update to their Facebook page was in 2018 and the last Instagram post was in 2017. There were quite a few reviews in 2020 and one posted 9 months ago.

Pinkberry, 7288 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046


Pinkberry Hollywood first opened in 2008 and closed this year. Thirteen years. It was the last location left in Hollywood. The owner of Sunset and Fuller used to own Pinkberry in La Canada Flintridge too. It was a larger location with 10 flavors on tap, more than usual.

Rockin’ Yogurt, 620 State St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101


Rockin’ Yogurt was the first tart froyo shop in town, opening in 2007 with four flavors of froyo. Later, they added crepes. It was inspired by Pinkberry, which opened in Santa Barbara in 2009. They had good froyo.

Yogurtland, 1 E Valley Blvd, Alhambra, CA 91801


Yogurtland Alhambra, on the corner of Valley and Garfield, opened in 2009 and was one of my regular Yogurtland locations. The last day was 10/25/21. It was the last froyo shop in Alhambra.

Yogurtland, 225 Primrose Rd Burlingame, CA 94010


This was my favorite Yogurtland in the area when it first opened in 2012 even though I lived closer to the one in San Francisco. I'm sad to hear it closed after 9 years. 

Yogurtland, 1670 East Gonzalez Rd Oxnard, CA 93030


Yogurtland Oxnard opened in 2011. At one time, the owner had Yogurtland shops in Ventura, Camarillo, and Oxnard. The Oxnard one was the last one open in Ventura County. Sad.

Farewell, old friends. You are missed.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: