Thursday, November 29, 2018

Culinary Tours Icelandic Style Skyr Review


Fro-yo girl here. Stater Bros. Market recently opened its first location in Pasadena. Of course, I had to see if I could find new frozen yogurt or yogurt products to try. And I found a new line of Icelandic style yogurt, aka skyr, that I hadn’t seen before, Culinary Tours. Culinary Tours products are carried by a variety of retailers, but the only one around here (Southern California) on the list is Stater Bros.

Stater Bros. was selling Culinary Tours Icelandic Style Skyr for 79 cents on sale. The regular price is 99 cents. That’s definitely cheap for skyr, which tends to be more expensive. One cup is 5 oz and contains at least 14g of protein. It’s made with whole milk and all-natural ingredients.

Available flavors: Coconut, Blueberry, Strawberry, Key Lime, Vanilla, Plain

  • Vanilla: I didn’t have high expectations because of the low price, but I was pleasantly surprised by this yogurt. I noticed some small clumps but when I stirred the yogurt, it was smooth, thick, and extra glossy. I saw plenty of vanilla bean specks. It wasn’t too sweet but had a sour flavor and sour aftertaste that I actually enjoy. Of the three flavors I tried, this one had the least sugar and it was the thickest. It was also the one I liked the best. One serving had 150 calories, 5g total fat, 12g total carbohydrates, 10g sugars, and 15g protein. 
  • Blueberry: This was the second best flavor. The blueberry yogurt was very thick and tangy, with an underlying sourness. It was a little chalky but the blueberry flavor was quite noticeable. I could see tiny bits of blueberry skin from the blueberry puree. 
  • Key Lime: Of the three flavors that I tried, this had the most sugar and the least yogurt intensity. It was sweeter but still tangy. The fruit flavor was not as strong. 

Ingredients (vanilla): Grade A whole milk, grade A skim milk, sugar, vanilla extract, vanilla bean, live and active cultures.

The list of ingredients is short and simple.

For some reason, there’s very little information about this product online. It’s not even listed on the Culinary Tours website.

4 out of 5 stars.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: