Saturday, May 22, 2021

A Visit to Egg N Bird, Fried Chicken Café Opened by Yogurtland Founders in Maywood, CA

 



Fro-yo girl here. I heard about Egg N Bird a few months ago, but I didn’t think it had froyo, so I didn’t rush over. There was a froyo connection though. It’s the new concept from “the founders of Yogurtland.” But Egg N Bird does not have froyo machines and I didn’t see a mention of offering froyo till May 7. The new promo says you can “get a free cup of froyo from Yogurtland with your first online order. Create an account to receive the offer.” The offer is good for a limited time only (no end date was specified).

Egg N Bird opened in January 2021. It was started by the founders of Yogurtland and specializes in craveable egg and chicken sandwiches inspired by street food flavors from around the world (e.g., Korean, Nashville, banh mi, Southern). They use antibiotic and hormone-free chicken, cage-free eggs, and scratch-made sauces. They serve breakfast sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, chicken bowls, sides, desserts, and beverages.

Back to the froyo, they have a small freezer filled with pre-packed Yogurtland froyo cups ($2.99 – free with first online purchase). I decided to place my order online to get the free cup of froyo. I specified the pickup time and showed up on time. The app told me to go to the takeout window on the side of the building. I did but no one came to the window. They told me they could not open the window. My order was ready but they must have cooked it way before I picked it up because the chicken was warm (not hot) and the bottom bun was totally soggy.

Also, it was unclear how to redeem the free cup of froyo since the website and app did not say. If you added the froyo to your order, there was no code given to deduct the cost of the cup.

Soggy bun aside, I enjoyed the banh mi fried chicken sandwich and my cup of Plain Tart froyo. Of course, prepacked froyo isn’t as tasty as froyo coming out of a soft serve machine.

They’ve been open for five months now and still have some technical issues to work out. Hope that they do.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

* EGG N BIRD: 4469 E Slauson Ave, Maywood, CA 90270

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.


No comments: