Thursday, December 20, 2018

Painful Froyo Shop Closures of 2018


Fro-yo girl here. It's a fact of life that many frozen yogurt shops close every year. Some closures are much more painful than others. This is my chance to remember some of my favorite shops that closed in 2018.

* Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt, Irvine, CA: 
I've never been a big fan of Golden Spoon, but the owners of this location were so nice and they were doing everything right. The shop was spotless, the employees friendly, and the yogurt servings were generous.

* Pinkberry Original Farmers Market, Los Angeles, CA: This location near the movie studios and Hollywood was the site of many celebrity froyo sightings.

* Pinkberry, The Americana at Brand, Glendale, CA: This was the best Pinkberry location in San Fernando and San Gabriel Valley. The owner really cared about froyo quality. They used to have Pinkberry test flavors from time to time. I went there for the 10th Anniversary Pinkberry event. I think they must have lost their lease? They just turned 10 this year. A boring medical practice took over the location.


* Pinkberry, Santana Row, San Jose, CA: This was the first Pinkberry in the Bay Area. It turned 10, which meant the lease was up, and they closed down. I remember going to the grand opening party at night, with Yelper Ann L. According to the owner, Santana Row refused to extend the lease. 

Yogurtland Palo Alto, CA: It's true that this Yogurtland was never the same after the ownership change, but I still have fond memories of Yogurtland Palo Alto.

Yummy Yogurt (Rolling Hills Estates): I never made it there (I've never been to Rolling Hills Estates), but Yummy Yogurt had a 34 year run. The outpouring of love before it closed reached my ears.

While it's sad to hear that Penguin's Frozen Yogurt in La Canada Flintridge, CA and Yogurt Stop in Menlo Park, CA closed this year, after 30 and 31 years in business, respectively, I didn't enjoy my frozen yogurt at either place.

Farewell, old friends. You are missed.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: