Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A Notable Passing: Tuttimelon Closes Its Irving Location



Fro-yo girl here. A new ice cream sandwich shop called Swich just opened at 2045 Irving St. in San Francisco, CA…the former Tuttimelon location. While many frozen yogurt shops close, this particular Tuttimelon location and the original location at 2150 Irving St. were special to me as a frozen yogurt fan. 

February 2, 2008 – the first day at Tuttimelon’s first location at 2150 Irving St. (Outer Sunset) and I was there. I had a cup of original tart with red beans as a topping. It was my favorite frozen yogurt shop back then and it was open late every day, even on Christmas. I could have delicious extra tart froyo whenever I wanted it. When it started out, Tuttimelon only had one flavor, original tart, but oh, what a delightful flavor. I couldn’t get enough of it, especially when sprinkled with green tea powder.

February 2 later became known as Tuttimelon Day. Two two, tutti, get it?

The original location was the size of a closet, so they moved up the street and let customers serve themselves. The new location at 2045 Irving St. opened on October 24, 2009. I was there with Tracy T. and Danny (now engaged) and I met Matt G. (Fro-Yo Boy) and Wilhelm Y. I got a ride in the Tuttimobile and a Tuttimelon umbrella. Tuttimelon Bear and Joe Cool met for the first time and became friends.

http://froyogirl.blogspot.com/2009/10/tuttimelon-irving-grand-opening.html

I remember going to Tuttimelon to meet Jonathan W., to collect Tuttispoons, feeding Tuttimelon Bear, and to stock up on the 99 cents/cup special.

The original Tuttimelon location became a Teaway (same ownership), the first self-serve bubble tea bar. It’s still a Teaway.

The Tuttimelon on Chestnut St. closed around the same time as the Irving location. They still have a San Francisco location: Teaway/Tuttimelon on Broadway in Chinatown…but it’s not the same as the Irving location. I will always have the fondest memories of Tuttimelon Irving. How I loved their almond, pomegranate, original, mango and Japanese yogurt froyo.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.


Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: