Saturday, October 24, 2009

Tuttimelon Irving Grand Opening Coverage




Fro-yo girl here. It finally happened, and while I feel sad to see the original Tuttimelon become Tea Way, they’re still providing tuttilicious fro-yo to the masses on Irving St., only it’s self-serve now. Today’s grand opening was very, very crowded. The line just kept growing.

Since we were with Tuttimelon Bear, we were able to go inside and watch the Tuttimelon team get ready for the event. Tracy, Danny and I helped with the fro-yo flavor signs.

Carmen Chu (SF Supervisor) presented Tuttimelon with a certificate and then swirled some pomegranate fro-yo into her cup. Roy (Mr. Tuttimelon) said something to the crowd but I couldn’t hear what was said since I was inside the store.

I finally got a ride in the Tuttimobile!!! It doesn’t smell like fro-yo. Patrick’s aunt and grandmother sat in the back of the car eating Tuttimelon fro-yo. So cute. I met his mom later. I hope he didn't make her wait on the curb so that I could get a ride in the Tuttimobile?



They had a fun spin the wheel game set up which determined which prize you’d win (for the first 50 people). Prizes included free gelato, a free fro-yo parfait, Tuttimelon gift card, Tuttimelon visors (in pink and black), Tuttimelon umbrellas (in pink and green) and a giant “Sumo” cup of fro-yo. I love my Tuttimelon umbrella! Thank you for the umbrella, Roy, and also for swirling my fro-yo for me (I still hate doing it myself).

The free fro-yo lasted till 2 PM. Close to 2 PM, raffle tickets were handed out to the people waiting in line and then I left…but I heard later that my friend Patra won the grand prize, the Wii (congrats Patra!)



Tuttimelon’s first SF self-serve location has 8 flavors a day (35 cents an ounce). I tried almond tart for the first time. It’s different and really good!

Flavors of the day:
* Almond tart
* Coconut tart
* Strawberry tart
* Taro tart
* Dark chocolate
* Pomegranate tart
* Original tart
* Mango tart



Joe Cool and Matt G. (fro-yo boy) shared a cup of taro fro-yo and then almond and coconut fro-yo. The Sumo Bowl is a 32 oz. cup - you can fill it up as much as you want for $9.45 (the perfect size for Matt G?). Tracy thinks they should have a fro-yo challenge - finish the Sumo Bowl and you don't have to pay :-).

I heard that their downtown SF/New Montgomery St. location will open very soon!

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

* TUTTIMELON IRVING: 2045 Irving St. San Francisco, CA

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds epic....wish I could have gone, but as you've already seen, I was in Walnut Creek.

Downtown Tuttimelon soon? Yay! :D

stellaincognita said...

wow, that sounds amazing!!! is the sumo bowl a regular offering, and can regular customers get it any day, or was it a grand opening promo? thanks for the coverage--love this blog!

Lolia S said...

The Sumo Bowl is a regular offering...are you feeling up for the challenge? :-)

Lolia S said...

Missed you, Helene...fro-yo boy was there w/ Matt G. Brian couldn't make it though (so no Polk St. reunion).

Anonymous said...

how soon will the new montgomery location open up?

Lolia S said...

Very soon...maybe even the end of this week (in time for Halloween)

Anonymous said...

do you know the address of the downtown store?

Lolia S said...

I think it's 199 New Montgomery

Bonnibella said...

How fun! So cool for fro-yo girl and tutti bear to get VIP access. I was in Vegas so couldn't make the opening. I can't wait to try their new flavors. We need to go on a fro-yo or tea tasting soon fro-yo girl!