Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fro-yo Girl Speaks Blogiversary


Fro-yo girl here. Fro-Yo Girl Speaks turns 1 today (10/20). And I’m answering questions from my readers.

Q: How did you get started?
FG: I fell in love with tart fro-yo the first time I tried it. At the time there weren’t that many fro-yo shops in the Bay Area, so I figured I could review all of them. However, new stores kept opening (and they’re still opening)…I still haven’t been to them all. I like being thorough and systematic, so I’m still on my quest.

Q: Why do you call yourself fro-yo girl?
FG: My favorite show is Gossip Girl!

Q: Who is fro-yo boy?
FG: Matt G. We’re married but not to each other. He loves fro-yo too (obviously).

Q: How do you have time to go to so many fro-yo places?
FG: It takes discipline. I visit at least two new places a week. I also look for fro-yo places any time I know I’m going to be in the area for other reasons. Sometimes this means going to several fro-yo places in one day.

Q: How do you know about so many fro-yo places?
FG: Initially it was harder. I’d ask at the fro-yo shops, research places online, friend people on Yelp who liked fro-yo, and just drive by places that I thought would be good for fro-yo. I’m getting more tips now from random people, friends and fro-yo shop owners.

Q: Do you want to open a fro-yo shop? Do you work for or own a fro-yo shop?
FG: No, I don’t work for a fro-yo shop or own one. I have zero interest in opening a fro-yo shop. I don’t think I could come up with better fro-yo than what’s out there and it’s more fun for me to try different places.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the Blogiversary!! I'm glad you've kept this blog up =)

Lolia S said...

Thank you Cinnamon Juice! And you've even met fro-yo boy. I miss your CJ blog posts.

Anonymous said...

i love your blog! keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

how do you get coupons from Nubi?

Anonymous said...

You can get coconut froyo @ Tuttimelon in Chinatown. I saw they have it when I went there last weekend to get passion fruit froyo.

Lolia S said...

I get coupons in the mail because I live close to Nubi SF. If you don't live close to Nubi, you can either eat at Ono first (to get a Nubi coupon) or sign up for Nubi Circle:
http://www.nubiyogurt.com/club.html

They sometimes send out coupons via e-mail to Nubi Circle members.

I know some Tuttimelons have coconut fro-yo...

bananas. said...

happy blogiversary! one year of fabulous fro-yo reviews :)

love this..."we’re married but not to each other."

caroly said...

Congrats!

I read your blog daily. Keep posting! :]

Anonymous said...

I just join Nubi Circle and they send me a coupon for 20% off until halloween. Is it valid at the Lakeshore Plaza location?

Anonymous said...

Tuttimelon Irving is opening this Saturday. I was wondering do you know what time it gets really busy. Does it get busy on the time it opens and the free frozen yogurt starts?

Lolia S said...

"I just join Nubi Circle and they send me a coupon for 20% off until halloween. Is it valid at the Lakeshore Plaza location?"

I'm not sure if it is valid or not at Lakeshore Plaza. I belong to Nubi Circle but they haven't sent me a 20% off coupon recently. Does the coupon say valid at participating locations only? If not, I would assume you could use it at any of their locations.

Lolia S said...

"Tuttimelon Irving is opening this Saturday. I was wondering do you know what time it gets really busy. Does it get busy on the time it opens and the free frozen yogurt starts?"

Irving St. is almost always super busy on Saturday during the day (Chinese people doing their grocery shopping) and w/ free fro-yo at Tuttimelon from 12 - 2 PM this Saturday, plus door prizes for the first 50 people, you know it's going to be crazy. After 2 PM should be much better. The line does move pretty quickly though, so it might not be so bad before 2 PM.

Anonymous said...

"I'm not sure if it is valid or not at Lakeshore Plaza. I belong to Nubi Circle but they haven't sent me a 20% off coupon recently. Does the coupon say valid at participating locations only? If not, I would assume you could use it at any of their locations."

Yes, the coupon does say at participating locations.

Anonymous said...

"Irving St. is almost always super busy on Saturday during the day (Chinese people doing their grocery shopping) and w/ free fro-yo at Tuttimelon from 12 - 2 PM this Saturday, plus door prizes for the first 50 people, you know it's going to be crazy. After 2 PM should be much better. The line does move pretty quickly though, so it might not be so bad before 2 PM."

Thanks. I'll just skip it and head there next weekend. How much are they going to charge for an ounce?

Anonymous said...

how many flavors will Tuttimelon Irving offer?

Lolia S said...

8 flavors at 35 cents I think.