Friday, February 26, 2010

Chicago Fro-yo Report: Berry Chill vs. Starfruit


Fro-yo girl here White Sox vs. Cubs, Thick Crust vs. Thin Crust, Chocolate vs. Vanilla...in Chicago, the two homegrown chains that come to mind when someone thinks of fro-yo (or frozen kefir) are Berry Chill and Starfruit Café. Berry Chill was the first tart fro-yo shop to open in Chicago, swirling since late 2007. Starfruit soon followed in April 2008. I was eager to try both places to see how they’d compare (and I brought Tuttimelon Bear along for a second opinion).

* PRICE: They're the same but Berry Chill charges a dollar more for their flavored tart fro-yo, but I think Berry Chill has larger portions. Advantage: Tie

* TOPPINGS: Both serve Milk & Honey granola and have better than average toppings. Starfruit toppings seem healthier since they have goji berries and flaxseeds, whereas Berry Chill has Thin Mints, peanut butter pretzels. Fruit toppings looked equally fresh. Advantage: Tie



* VARIETY: During my visits, they were offering very fro-yo/frozen kefir flavors. Both offer smoothies. Starfruit has some organic frozen kefir flavors. Advantage: Tie again

* MARKETING: Berry Chill has the cutest signature cups and spoons, delivery, self-serve order kiosks and Yogi the bear mascot. YogiJones is constantly tweeting. Starfruit has a very bright and fruity image. I like how you can create your own frozen kefir creation on their website. Advantage: Berry Chill



* TASTE: I like kefir and everyone knows that I'm obsessed with fro-yo. For me, taste is the most important and Starfruit wins here. Berry Chill is too icy and the original tart tastes too lemony. Starfruit tastes more natural and doesn't taste lemony. Advantage: Starfruit

Since taste is the most important, I’m picking Starfruit Café (so sorry Yogi). It isn't enough to be cute (but thanks for the cup and spoon, Berry Chill).

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any updates on Nubi Portrero Center, Yoppi Montgomery and Tuttimelon Westfield SF Center?

Bonnibella said...

haha you sound like a boxing announcer.

Lolia S said...

No updates. I've been sick and I was also out of town. Haven't been fro-yoing as much, other than my time in Chicago.

- FYG

dhan said...

whether the difference between kefir and yogurt?
Which is better between them?
whether kefir has the same flavor of yogurt?

Lolia S said...

That's a good question, dhan. Here's an answer that I found: http://www.kefir.net/kefiryogurt.htm
It says that they're both cultured milk products but they use contain types of bacteria. Kefir is supposed to be healthier. They don't taste that different to me though the frozen kefir I've had has been icier and the non-frozen kind seems to have a stronger, tangier taste. It's hard to find non-fat kefir - most of it is full fat.

- FYG