Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Yu Cake Adds Yogurt Daifuku and Creamy Mochi




Fro-yo girl here. Yu Cake, my favorite cake and Asian dessert shop, just added daifuku to the menu. Twelve flavors are available, including three yogurt ones: strawberry yogurt, blueberry yogurt, and blackgrape yogurt. They weren’t on display, so you have to ask for them (they’re in the back). When I ordered it, I was told it would take 10 minutes. They’re not making them to order, so they must be defrosting them to order. I think the price was $6.50. The daifuku are large.

I didn’t eat the strawberry yogurt daifuku right away and by the time I made it home, it was an hour later.

Strawberry yogurt daifuku: The rice cake shell (glutinous rice/mochi) was very soft, thin, and chewy. Though it was blue, I don’t think the rice cake shell was flavored. The center was still frozen and seemed like tangy frozen strawberry juice. The strawberry center was surrounded by a thick layer of yogurt cream. The yogurt cream was creamy and rich. It also tasted like coconut cream. Yu Cake’s daifuku is heavier and bigger than your typical fresh strawberry daifuku. While I appreciated the fact that the yogurt cream was tangy and tasted like yogurt, the frozen center threw me. I prefer the traditional strawberry daifuku with a fresh strawberry center. Maybe if they blended the strawberries into the yogurt cream and put something not frozen in the center like fresh fruit or jelly, I would like it more. I think yogurt daifuku is worth trying but I’ll stick with their yogurt cakes.

They also added Creamy Mochi with nine flavors of mochi. None of the new Creamy Mochi flavors are yogurt.

Cream filled and even yogurt cream daifuku seem to be popular. There are several videos on YouTube that show you how to make them.

Daifuku and creamy mochi are currently only available at the Yu Cake in San Gabriel.

YU CAKE: 301 W Valley Blvd, Ste 111, San Gabriel, CA 91776

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: