Tuesday, February 23, 2021

A-Chino Salted Egg Yolk & Boba Ice Cream Bar Review & Salted Egg Potato Chips Review

 




Fro-yo girl here. Last year, brown sugar boba ice cream bars were all the rage. This year, salted egg seems to be the flavor of the moment. A-Chino’s Salted Egg Yolk & Boba Ice Cream Bars combine the two flavors. I found them at 168 Market in San Gabriel, California for $6.99/box. One box contains four individually wrapped 80g bars. A-Chino is a Taiwanese brand and the ice cream bars are manufactured by Shuang Yeh Foods Co. and imported from Taiwan.


Salted egg is a familiar flavor that I grew up with, since you’d find salted egg in zhongzi, Chinese and Vietnamese steamed buns, and mooncakes. I like salted egg. Potato & Tea in San Marino, CA (closed permanently last year) had salted egg as an option for their flavored fries.

Salted Egg Yolk & Boba Ice Cream Bar: I have to admit that it sounds like a strange flavor, even to me, and I’ve had plenty of salted egg yolk. The ice cream bar has swirls of salted egg flavor throughout and the boba can also be found throughout the bar. The salted egg flavor was not strong. The bar tasted more like condensed milk. They added butter, salted egg yolk powder, and cheese powder. I think I tasted the cheese more than the salted egg. It reminded me of a mild version of Kraft Mac & Cheese. The bar was sweet, firm and a little icy. The tapioca pearls were soft and chewy. Interesting flavor – but I still prefer the tea flavored boba ice cream bars.

One bar is 178 calories, 6g total fat, 23g total carbs, 16g total sugars, and 2g protein.

I’ve tried A-Chino’s brown sugar boba ice cream bars, matcha brown sugar boba ice cream bars, and oolong tea boba ice cream bars. My favorite so far is the oolong tea boba ice cream bar. I gave the salted egg yolk & boba bars an extra half-star for creativity.


4 out of 5 stars.


I heard about Irvins salted egg potato chips last year and saw all kinds of salted egg snacks at 99 Ranch Market but I just tried salted egg potato chips this year. Irvins is the most famous maker of salted egg snacks.

Irvins “originated from a seafood restaurant and transfored our salted egg dishes into the addictive snacks that you love.” Their snacks are imported from Singapore. The snacks are expensive. An 8.11 oz bag of Irvins Salted Egg Potato chips is $18.88 on Amazon. I found Irvins Spicy Salted Egg Potato Chips (3.7 oz) on sale for $7.99 and Fragrance Salted Egg Potato Chips (2.47 oz) on sale for $4.99 at 168 Market in San Gabriel, CA. Fragrance chips are also imported from Singapore.

Irvins Hot Boom Salted Egg Potato Chips: These thinly sliced, fried potato chips are coated in red chili peppers and salted duck egg. They smell like they taste – spicy and rich duck egg. The potato chips are not ridged and they’re crunchy but weighed down by the coating. They’re super flavorful – an explosion of salt, very spicy heat, and sweetness. The salted egg flavor is strong and lingers for a long time. I could not taste the potatoes but that might not be such a negative. I liked it a lot but I’m not sure how often I’d crave them. One serving of 28g is 180 calories, 14g total fat, 200mg sodium, 11g total carbs, and 2g protein. Irvins adds a butter spread and uses MSG. The flavor is very intense, so a little goes a long way.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Fragrance Salted Egg Potato Chips: These potato chips were ridged and sweeter than Irvins. I could taste the salted egg but the flavor was not as strong. I could actually taste the potato and a small kick of dried chili pepper and curry leaves. Since these chips weren’t as flavorful as Irvins, I didn’t like them quite as much – but they were really good! Fragrance’s list of ingredients was much shorter and they don’t use MSG. I’d love to try a spicy version if they have one. Fragrance’s chips seem more natural and healthier. One serving of 28g is 160 calories, 11g total fat, 125mg sodium, 14g total carbs, 1g total sugars and 3g protein.

I’m sure that I’ll be trying other salted egg chips this year and maybe new boba ice cream bars, if they come out with new flavors.

4 out of 5 stars.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: