Thursday, June 4, 2020

Menchie’s New Flavors: Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip with Almond Butter & Café Mocha & a New Cup





Fro-yo girl here. Menchie’s had new flavors scheduled to come out in April, but then the coronavirus struck and many Menchie’s locations temporarily closed. Most Menchie’s have now reopened on a limited basis and I noticed a handful mention the new flavors, Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip with Almond Butter and Cafe Mocha.

Froyo samples still aren’t allowed in Los Angeles at this time. I read that some froyo shops in Orange County allow self-serve and provide customers with gloves, and to my surprise, self-serve is back at Menchie’s Eagle Rock. They ask that you use hand sanitizer. The toppings are packed in small cups or plastic bags for safety.

Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip with Almond Butter (vegan) is dairy-free, gluten-free, has no high fructose corn syrup, and is made with no artificial colors or artificial flavors. It sounded promising since I like mint chocolate. And, I did like it. It tasted less sweet and cleaner than the typical dairy-based froyo. The mint wasn’t too strong or toothpaste like. The texture was creamy yet not as rich as a dairy-based froyo. Recommended toppings: Andes Mints, chocolate shell, almonds. The sign did not mention live and active cultures.

Café Mocha froyo is made with real coffee and cocoa and no artificial colors or artificial flavors. It is lowfat, gluten-free ad free of high fructose corn syrup. I like coffee flavored froyo, so I was looking forward to this flavor. I asked the employee what it tasted like, since samples were not available. He said it tasted like chocolate with a coffee aftertaste, that the chocolate flavor was much stronger than the coffee flavor. I found it more balanced and the coffee flavor lingered longer than the chocolate. The texture was smooth and creamy. I tried it again and the chocolate flavor seemed stronger. Perhaps I confused the Mudslide Pie froyo in my cup with the Café Mocha flavor the first time I tried it? Recommended toppings: OREOs, chocolate shell, almonds.

I was pleasantly surprised to find new cups for the Scoob movie. The cups say that there are 7 dog tags hidden in the store and if you unscramble the mystery word, you’ll get a prize. I also picked up more limited edition yellow Sprinkle flower spoons.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: