Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Yogurt Drinks: Lifeway Kefir, Evergreen, Promise Activ Supershots, Vita
Fro-yo girl here. A few months ago I started buying various yogurt drinks to see if I would like any of them. I’m officially sick of yogurt drinks now and the only ones I like are Lifeway Kefir and Dannon DanActive.
LIFEWAY PLAIN KEFIR: It tastes the most like real plain yogurt only not as thick. Kefir is thicker than milk, creamy and quite sour. The plain flavor is unsweetened with 10 types of live and active kefir cultures with inulin which helps boost calcium absorption. Since it has the N.V. Perricone MD seal of approval, it must be ultra healthy.
Kefir would make a good dip or salad dressing. I enjoyed kefir in parfaits with fresh berries and granola.
* Flavors: Plain, strawberry, raspberry, strawberry banana, peach, cherry, blueberry, vanilla, cappuccino, pomegranate
* Ingredients: cultured pasteurized milk, nonfat milk, inulin
* $3.99, 32 fl. Oz. Purchased from Safeway, plastic bottle
* 4.5 out of 5 stars
EVERGREEN YOGURT DRINK: This is a Korean product that looks and tastes like Yakult (thin, milky, tangy, sweet) but is targeted towards kids (the plastic wrapper has a picture of a kid kicking a soccer ball). It comes in tiny plastic bottles and it’s labeled as a frozen dessert. The small size is nice because I didn’t feel like drinking much of it.
* 5 bottles, 2.10 fluid ounces
* Ingredients: Filtered water, high fructose corn syrup, cultured grade A pasteurized nonfat milk, sugar, dextrose, natural & artificial flavors, potassium sorbate, aspartame, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3
* 3 out of 5 stars
PROMISE ACTIV SUPERSHOTS: This product is much thicker than DanActive and claims that it can remove cholesterol as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol. Of course you’ll need to drink it at least once a day to enjoy those benefits. There was no mention of live and active cultures on the product packaging. The sweet, tangy flavor was okay but I found it a bit too sweet. It did taste like it was made with yogurt though. I didn’t like how it was chalky. It reminded me of Ensure (not that I’ve ever tried Ensure).
* Flavors: Vanilla, Peach, Raspberry, Strawberry
* 3.3 fluid ounces per serving
* Ingredients: water, cultured nonfat milk, sugar, plant sterol esters, pear juice concentrate, canola oil, pectin, natural and artificial flavor, phosphoric acid, mixed tocopherols, guar gum, caramel color, carrageenan gum, xanthan gum, maltodextrin, sucralose, tocopheryl acetate, molasses, vitamin A
* Tagline: A simply amazing way to lower cholesterol
* 3.5 out of 5 stars
VITA YOGHURT FLAVORED DRINK: Made in China, these yogurt drinks come in a pack of 4 boxes with attached straws and are meant for kids. The thin, somewhat milky, refreshing drink seemed tangier and sweeter than Yakult. I found it too sweet but it wasn’t bad. I didn’t see any mention of live and active cultures.
* Pack of four, 4.2 fluid ounces each
* Ingredients: Water, sugar, skim milk powder, whole milk powder, citric acid, pectin, artificial flavor, lactic acid, cellulose gum, salt – okay
* 3.5 out of 5 stars
It’s going to be a loooong time before I feel like having another yogurt drink.
You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.