Tuesday, October 3, 2023

2023 Pumpkin Yogurt Rankings



Fro-yo girl here. I’ve tasted and reviewed many pumpkin froyo brands, but this is my first pumpkin yogurt (non-frozen) taste-off. I started by buying the pumpkin flavors of yogurt brands that I like.

All of the yogurts that I selected contained real pumpkin with spices and they were all thick and creamy, though La Fermiere wasn't as thick since it isn't a Greek yogurt. But there were definite differences in the amount of pumpkin flavor, the amount of spices, and the pleasantness of the spice blends. Also, some yogurts had ingredients that weren't present in the other brands.

And the winner was...Ellenos Pumpkin Pie. This yogurt tasted a lot like a good pumpkin pie, and that was before I added the separate container of crunchy cookie crumble. Culina's pumpkin spice yogurt was the spiciest but it didn't taste like pumpkin pie. I would buy all of them again, except for the Trader Joe's pumpkin yogurt. 

Here's a bit more about each yogurt, in order of their taste ranking. 

#1) Ellenos Pumpkin Pie is a non-blended Greek yogurt made with whole milk. It comes with a separate compartment that contains a crunchy cookie crumble. Ellenos captured the true flavor of pumpkin pie, balancing spices, pumpkin, and tangy yogurt flavors. The cookie crumble tastes like buttery graham crackers. So good! One 7 oz serving is 330 calories; 13g total fat; 31g total sugars; 15g protein.

#2) La Fermiere Pumpkin Spice is a French style whole milk yogurt in a glass jar. The pumpkin puree is on the bottom. The pumpkin puree was too sweet but I did like the flavor of the puree, spices, and tangy yogurt. One 5.6 oz serving is 210 calories; 11g total fat; 22g total sugars; 4g protein.

#3) Culina Pumpkin Spice is a dairy-free coconut based blended Greek style yogurt. The strong nutmeg flavor with a hint of coconut was unique and different than the other yogurts. One 5 oz serving is 240 calories; 17g total fat; 11g total sugars; 2g protein.

#4) Noosa Pumpkin is an Australian style non-blended whole milk yogurt. It had a few ingredients not found in the other brands: honey and cream cheese and honey. It didn't have much spice and had a caramel-like flavor. One 8 oz serving is 280 calories; 12g total fat; 30g total sugars; 11g protein.

#5) Trader Joe's Pumpkin is a Greek nonfat yogurt. It had the least pumpkin flavor and reminded me of apple cider. One 5.3 oz serving is 130 calories; 0g total fat; 17 total sugars; 12g protein.

I did look for Chobani pumpkin yogurt but I only saw Chobani Zero Sugar pumpkin spice. I found all but Trader Joe's yogurt at Whole Foods. I was surprised that Whole Foods didn't have Siggi's Pumpkin & Spice skyr. I still hope to find it. It has less sugar than all the brands that I reviewed. 

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: