Thursday, April 26, 2018

Ripple Greek Yogurt Alternative Review



Fro-yo girl here. Mr. Froyo and I tried Ripple, the plant-based, pea protein milk, a couple of months ago and he really likes it. In fact, he prefers it to milk and consumes it regularly. We get the unsweetened original kind which has a good amount of protein, iron, and vitamin D and no sugar. It’s soy-free, nut-free, GMO-free, gluten-free, and lactose free. Even though there’s no sugar, it still tastes mild and sweet to me, like soymilk. And it’s not thin but it’s actually fairly rich and creamy. We were excited to try Ripple’s new product, Ripple Greek Yogurt Alternative with live active cultures.

It wasn’t easy to track down Ripple Yogurt in Los Angeles. I kept checking the shelves at Sprouts, Whole Foods, Gelson’s, and Target. No luck. But, I finally found it at Ralph’s for $2.39 each. This location only had two flavors, Plain and Vanilla.

* Plain Yogurt: It smelled different than Ripple Unsweetened Original Milk. The plain yogurt smelled like protein powder. I didn’t like the smell. The color was greyish brown, like Ripple milk. The texture was smooth and creamy. The taste was not what I expected. It wasn’t sweet, which was fine, or tangy but it was sour. I’m fine with sour yogurt but the chalky, yeasty, protein powder taste wasn’t pleasant. 
It was better than Vega’s because they didn’t add Stevia. I don’t think adding other flavors to it would make it taste better. Mr. Froyo thought it was okay. He said he could see "why most people wouldn't like it" and that he was surprised that Ripple released it. And he also wanted me to emphasize that he loves Ripple pea milk. 

One serving is 140 calories, 5g total fat, 6g sugars, and 12g protein.

Ingredients: Water, Ripptein (pea protein), organic cane sugar, sunflower oil, tapioca flour, pectin, natural flavors, locust bean gum, dipotassium phosphate, yeast extract, citric acid, cultures (Bifidobacterium bifidum, L. Acidophilus, L. Casei, L. Bulgaricus, L. Rhamnosus, S. Thermophilus).

Pasteurized organic whole milk, vitamin D3, live and active cultures

Available flavors: Original, Strawberry, Blueberry, Vanilla, Maple

2.5 out of 5 stars.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had read your blog before I bought Ripple. I can eat plain greek yogurt despite it being very tart. I don't know what to describe the original flavor other than bad. I only licked a little off the spoon and didn't like it. I tried dipping strawberries in it to try to get it down, but could not. I don't care about the color, but the smell is weird. I can't describe the flavor, and am very sorry for wasting my money.

Lolia S said...

Ripple Yogurt was definitely disappointing :-(. Do you like their milk? It's so much better than their yogurt.

- FYG