Thursday, March 23, 2017

Smucker’s Magic Shell vs. Hershey’s Shell



Fro-yo girl here. I grew up with Dairy Queen chocolate dipped cones. My parents were dipped cone fans and they introduced me to DQ’s dipped cones during a road trip (we didn’t live near a DQ). To this day I still love the chocolate shell that hardens over frozen yogurt but I wasn’t sure which brand of chocolate shell was the best.

I started looking at the available shell options and there aren’t that many. I’ve only seen chocolate shell (and other flavors) offered by Smucker’s and Hershey’s. Smucker’s Chocolate Magic Shell is everywhere. Hershey’s Chocolate Shell is hard to find though you can find it at some Menchie’s locations. I tried them side by side on the same cup of frozen yogurt.

* Texture: Smucker’s Magic Shell was softer. It did firm up but it remained on the soft side. Hershey’s Shell turned into a thin, very crispy shell. Hershey’s Shell definitely won the texture comparison.

* Flavor: Hershey’s Shell had a stronger chocolate taste than Smucker’s and it wasn’t as sweet. Hershey’s Shell tastes better than Smucker’s Magic Shell.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I compared both chocolate shells on chocolate ice cream. Here's my opinion:

Hershey's:

Classic, hard crispy shell with complex chocolate taste. More expensive then Smucker's.

Smucker's:

Soft hard shell (no crisp) with a traditional straightforward chocolate taste (no complex flavors). A very good taste though indeed. Less expensive then Hershey's.

My favorite: Both! They each have their good qualities. I think I'll choose Smucker's though more due to the lower price.