Thursday, January 11, 2018

Dr. Robbin Bistro’s 5 “No” Yogurt Gelato




Fro-yo girl here. One day I was walking down Colorado Blvd. and I happened to look inside the new Dr. Robbin Bistro. I couldn’t believe what I saw: a giant frozen yogurt cup on the wall of the dining room. I went inside for a closer look and learned that they make their own yogurt. Their housemade yogurt is added to smoothies and to a few of their gelato flavors. The 5 “No” gelato is made fresh every three days. It’s called 5 “No” because it has no added sugar, nonfat milk, no artificial colors, no stabilizers, and no preservatives. During my visit, they had three yogurt gelato flavors: Mango, Strawberry, and Blueberry.

The Blueberry Yogurt Gelato was the tartest. It was almost sour and certainly tasted low in sugar. But because they used Stevia, the gelato tasted bitter and the sweetness was more of an aftertaste. Stevia might be natural but it tastes like saccharin to me. I don’t like it at all. I could taste the blueberries, strawberries and the mangoes but the Stevia definitely added a bitter note. The gelato was creamy but extremely hard. I think this is because they make it with nonfat milk. It definitely tasted like diet gelato.

Gelato prices: Single ($2.75)/ Regular ($4.99)/ Family ($6.99)

I first spotted Dr. Robbin while driving around Koreatown in Los Angeles, but I didn’t realize it was a restaurant. Who names a restaurant after a doctor? I thought it was a weight loss clinic. It’s actually a healthy restaurant that does not add sugar, butter, MSG, or artificial flavoring. The food is low calorie, low carb, and nothing is fried. The menu includes sandwiches, salads, pizzas, pastas, Asian fusion dishes, beverages, and gelato.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

* DR. ROBBIN BISTRO: 624 E Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91101

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: