Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mochi for Sale Online


Fro-yo girl here. When it comes to fro-yo toppings, mochi is my very favorite topping. I've been fond of it ever since I remember (long before I tried frozen yogurt). I remember mum used to make glutinous sweet rice patties for me. She'd add water to sweet rice flour till it formed a dough, shape patties and pan fry them till golden. They were sticky and chewy. Or she'd use the same dough and shape it into small balls that she'd drop into a boiling pot of red bean soup. Those chewy balls coated with red bean soup were the best.

I'm sure fro-yo is responsible for rising mochi sales and the introduction of new mochi products.

There's even several places you can order mochi online, including:
* SunnySweetNovember on Etsy: tiny bits that seem perfect for fro-yo, flavors include vanilla, chocolate truffle, cayenne, lemon, cinnamon, coconut, matcha, hazelnut, butter, almond, orange zest
* Simply Mochi: limited to the Bay Area, these are creative filled dessert mochi, like Oreo Cheesecake
* Fugetsu-do: your traditional Japanese mochi can be ordered from JapanSuper.com
* Nutsonline.com has chocolate covered and black sesame mochi bits

I found some mochi recipes that seem really easy. Baking the mochi probably is better than microwaving it...will have to try with the sweet rice flour that I bought today.

* Microwave mochi recipe: http://www.ehow.com/how_2075110_make-mochi.html
* Baked mochi recipe: http://www.ehow.com/how_4876667_make-mochi-recipe.html

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

No comments: