Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pomegranate Seeds are Back!



Fro-yo girl here. When it comes to fresh fruit toppings, pomegranate seeds are my favorite. I love the crunch of the seed portion and the refreshing tartness of the flesh. Peeling one takes forever, so the seeds also feel like a special treat.

Pomegranates also are considered a superfood, rich in anti-oxidiants and a good source of of vitamin B5, potassium, vitamin C. Consumption may reduce the risk of heart disease, lower systolic blood pressure and promote prostate health in men.

Pomegranates are typically in season from October through January and I’ve been anxiously awaiting their return. The season is so short so I’ll have to get pomegranate seeds whenever I see them.

Today at Culture Organic Frozen Yogurt in Palo Alto, I saw a large bowl stacked with pomegranates. They’re back!!!! Pomegranate seeds were recently spotted at Fro-ggie in Fremont as well (thanks Carol L.) and Yogurt Harmony in Berkeley (thanks Karen W.). Keep an eye out for them at other fro-yo shops. I’ve had pomegranate seeds with my fro-yo at Red Mango, Pinkberry, Jubili, Tuttimelon, and Blondie’s Pizza. I’ve had pomegranate tart fro-yo at Tuttimelon (Irving St., SF and Alameda), Blush (pomegranate-dragonfruit), Papamingo, and Nubi (raspberry pomegranate). Tuttimelon has the best tasting pom tart fro-yo and it’s extra tart. Yum!

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.


* CULTURE ORGANIC FROZEN YOGURT: 340 S California Ave, Palo Alto, CA, 94306
* FRO-GGIE: 1554 Washington Blvd, Fremont, CA 94539
* YOGURT HARMONY: 2259 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, CA 94704
* TUTTIMELON: 2150 Irving St, San Francisco, CA, 94122

No comments: