Sunday, August 16, 2026

626 Night Market 2026: Asian Food Trends





Fro-yo girl here. Froyo is back but there wasn’t any at 626 Night Market this year. I did get some frozen yogurt skewers last year from MOJO, but MOJO wasn’t there this year. 626 Night Market seemed much better before the pandemic. It felt like there were more Korean vendors than ever this year and fewer Chinese vendors. Only one place offers stinky tofu now. In the good old days, you could smell a lot of stinky tofu.

For desserts, I spotted taiyaki, taiyaki ice cream, Italian ice, Hawaiian honey cones, funnel cakes, shaved ice, ice cream, ice cream sandwiches, churros, crème brulee, cinnamon rolls, mango sticky rice, cheesecake on a stick, and banana pudding.

I didn’t see any food trucks, and the vendors that I went to last year weren’t there. But there were new vendors, more seating, and misting stations. It felt less exciting and novel though. Sushi tacos and sushi pizza might have been new.

I did try the Japanese sandwich pop-up, Sandoitchi, but it was disappointing since they didn’t use milk bread, and they didn’t cut all the crusts off my $15 egg salad sando.

Free parking. Admission is $8. They used to always have the last market of the year during Labor Day weekend, but this year they only had the market in June and August. Foodieland acquired 626 Night Market last year.

The food is better at Smorgasburg, which has free parking and free admission, but it’s not open at night. I also think Wat Thai Temple in North Hollywood has better, more affordable food, but it’s mostly Thai and not open at night. It’s hard to find a regular night market, though there is a new one in Hollywood.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.


No comments: