Thursday, July 11, 2024

The Frenchy Gourmet Kefir Yogurt Review




Fro-yo girl here. The Frenchy Gourmet had a stand at the Niles Farmers Market, which is held on Saturdays in Niles Fremont. They sell “French style kefir yogurt” that’s high in protein, high in probiotics, low in carbs, and made with lactose-reduced milk. There are over 20 different flavors, including Nutella, vanilla, lemon, strawberry, fig, guava, white chocolate, mango, mixed berry, etc. The stand also provides free samples. One tub was $8.

The vendor said that no sugar was added. The list of ingredients was short: cultured cream, milk, nonfat milk, ultra-filtered lactose-reduced nonfat dry milk, enzymes, chopped blueberry). He said they used to have sheep’s milk yogurt five years ago but discontinued it. All the yogurt is made with cow’s milk now. There was no nutritional information in sight. The address in Sacramento is the address of a shared commercial kitchen.

Blueberry kefir yogurt: very thick, smooth, creamy, with chopped blueberry blended throughout. It’s thicker than Greek yogurt. It is very good, decadent even (because of the cream?). It’s sour and tangy. It's so good and different from mass-produced, store-bought yogurt that you have to wonder what's in there. 

The lack of information reminded me of Bonjour Yogurt, which sells a similar product at farmers' markets in Southern California. LAist has a great article about the ingredients used in Bonjour. I also had a few comments on my Bonjour blog post from people who sell Bonjour. Here’s an interesting one:

“I sell bonjour yogurt and I’ve been selling it for about five years…people ask us a lot of questions about it and I sell it as honest as I can. I do not know what is in it exactly I could only say what’s on the label, but I do know that they add Stevia water or Stevia leaf honey molasses apart from that I do not know what is added.”

I also spotted some savory items for sale: cheese, dips, olives, and pita chips.

The Frenchy Gourmet can be found at other farmers' markets in the Bay Area. Check their IG @thefrenchygourmet for a current list of markets.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: