Saturday, September 24, 2016

Trimona Bulgarian Yogurt Review



Fro-yo girl here. Greek yogurt has become so popular that the market has seen an influx of Greek yogurt alternatives. Enter Trimona Bulgarian Yogurt, a European-style yogurt made with lactobacillus bulgaricus and made in New York. It was developed by Atanas Valev with the help of two jars of homemade yogurt brought over from Bulgaria in 1991. 

Bulgarians have a long history of eating yogurt and special connection with yogurt, long revered for its health benefits. A Bulgarian scientist, Dr. Stamen Grigorov, discovered lactobacillus bulgaricus in 1905. Dr. Ilya Mechnikov won a Nobel prize for finding that fermented milk “was responsible for the hardiness of the Bulgarian people."

Trimona Bulgarian yogurt is organic, not strained and made from the milk of grass-fed cows. It is made with whole milk yogurt to which no sugar is added. You can get it plain or plain with flavorings in a separate compartment. I found Trimona for $1.99 (single serving, flavored) on sale at Sprouts (regular price: $2.29).

Varieties: Plain, Honey Ginger Cinnamon, Raspberry Coconut, Mango Passion Fruit, Blueberry Lavender

* Honey Ginger Cinnamon: I tried the plain yogurt side first. The texture is clumpier, thinner, and pretty sour (the whey wasn’t strained out). It had a clean taste and you could taste the richer cream notes from the whole fat milk. I liked how the cinnamon, ginger and honey mixture was kept separate so that you could control the desired level of sweetness. There was a very strong, sharp ginger flavor (I like ginger so that’s a good thing).

I liked how the yogurt was simple, minimally processed and similar to homemade yogurt. Good stuff.

One serving is 130 calories, 4.5g fat, 12g sugars, 4g protein

Ingredients: Pasteurized organic whole milk, live & active yogurt cultures, organic honey, water, organic ginger puree, pectin, organic ground ginger, organic cinnamon

I found this interesting snippet on the Trimona website about straining vs. not straining yogurt: “Greek yogurt is by definition a strained yogurt, which means they remove the liquid whey fraction. Bulgarian yogurt retains the whey, since it is one of the highest quality proteins, and is stocked with vitamins and minerals. Most Greek yogurt is further adulterated by removing fat and adding sugar. Some also add inferior protein and thickeners.”

4.5 stars

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only eat pure Greek whole milk yogurt made by Greeks and this Bulgarian yogurt is just the same Perfect tangy quality equal to my Real Greek yogurt made with cream

Anonymous said...

This fermented dairy will be an adjustment for my American pallet. Thanks for confirming the yogurt I purchased is indeed meant to be quite sour and not a spoiled batch.

Jean said...

I just tried it (I added blueberries, raspberries and strawberries) and love it. Without straining the whey you get much more of a healthy product and I look forward to seeing how it affects my health and my skin. Looking to lose a few pounds and I think this product will help with that.