Saturday, May 28, 2011

Gelato vs. Fro-yo, Score One Gelato: Bar Gelato by Naia


Fro-yo girl here. I read about Bar Gelato (gelato popsicles) by Naia recently and was intrigued by their popsicle form and convenience (available at Whole Foods in Northern California). When comparing fro-yo to gelato, my main issues with scoopable gelato are (1) I don't like that sticky, soft texture and (2) it's expensive but not better than top quality fro-yo (or ice cream).

Bar Gelato ($1.99 each, sold individually) far exceeded my expectations. It's not sticky but it's firm and icier than ice cream but not as icy as fruit juice popsicles (Bar Gelato has milk). The price is right, the size is perfect (about 140 calories) and the flavors are phenomenal.


Bar Gelato features artisanal gelato made from local ingredients, like Numi Tea, Blue Bottle Coffee, St. George Single Malt, and TCHO chocolate. It's currently available in 9 flavors. Yogurt isn't one of the flavors though Naia does have a yogurt gelato.

My current favorite is Numi Jasmine which tastes like milk tea. You can really taste the tea and the milk. The best seller appeared to be Blue Bottle Coffee (they were almost all out of that flavor).

Now I know why the checker said all the Whole Foods employees are obsessed with Bar Gelato. These are perfect summer treats.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

2 comments:

Bonnibella said...

I must try! Never heard of gelato bars.

Lolia S said...

You will like them. They are really good! Get the jasmine one.

- FYG