Saturday, September 18, 2010

Runny Fro-yo is Gross



Fro-yo girl here. The other week I was in Chicago eating fro-yo and I received a melted cup of fro-yo from freshii. The fro-yo was too soft to even hold a swirl. In a few minutes, it had become fro-yo soup. The flavor wasn't bad actually, but the melted texture was plain disgusting. When it comes to fro-yo, texture ranks second only after taste. There's nothing worse than runny, too soft fro-yo. I like smooth, firm fro-yo that doesn't melt right away. Other fro-yo textures that I don't like include:

(1) gritty and or chunky/lumpy fro-yo
(2) airy, fluffy fro-yo
(3) overly icy



I seem to run into better texture at full-service shops (maybe because they have fewer machines to look after?) but there are some self-serve chains that seem to consistently have good fro-yo texture. I'd like to recognize Yogurtland and Menchie's for good quality control.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

6 comments:

Bonnibella said...

wow, that's really runny for a few minutes. Was the weather hot?

Did you try Hot Doug's this time?

Lolia S said...

It wasn't a hot day (70 degrees, plus I was sitting inside a building, 311 S Wacker). And yes, I did go to Hot Doug's - actually that same day. I went to HD's (amazing) and then caught the train to Freshii's.

- FYG

Bonnibella said...

I'm glad you love HD, I've been missing them badly. Lucky you, always in Chicago.

Lolia S said...

I'm excited for you - saw you were planning to go to New Orleans :). Maybe have some fro-yo for me while you are there.

- FYG

Bonnibella said...

Definitely! I wonder if there would be any regional speciality fro yo. I'll be thinking of you.

Lolia S said...

I'm not aware of any regional specialty type fro-yo in that area. Report back :)

- FYG