Thursday, October 15, 2009

Stonyfield Farm Frozen Yogurt Review


Fro-yo girl here. Stonyfield Farm’s line of non-fat and low fat organic frozen yogurt has been in supermarkets for years now but I still have difficulty finding it (might be a West Coast/Bay Area thing). Back in the early 1990s, Stonyfield Farm, which is based in New Hampshire, supplied soft-serve frozen yogurt to yogurt shops across the country. They still supply fro-yo to fro-yo shops like Sweetgreen (www.sweetgreen.com) in DC.

Their current fro-yo lineup doesn’t include tart flavors.

* Non-fat flavors: After Dark Chocolate, Gotta Have Java, Gotta Have Vanilla, Vanilla Fudge Swirl
* Low fat flavors: Cookies 'n Dream, Crème Caramel, Minty Chocolate Chip, Raspberry White Chocolate Chunk

I found my pint of Gotta Have Vanilla at Berkeley Bowl West. It has real vanilla bean specks! But not enough of them…The texture is rich, creamy and dense (yes, it’s non-fat). The flavor is clean and very sweet (too sweet). Despite all the sugar, you can taste real yogurt flavor but that flavor is quite faint. I’d consider it an ice cream substitute vs. fro-yo for true fro-yo fans.

4 out of 5 stars

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

* BERKELEY BOWL WEST: 9th and Heinz, Berkeley, CA 94710

2 comments:

stellaincognita said...

The Stoneyfield Farms yogurt is the best store-bought sweet fro-yo I've found yet. The Java flavor is pretty good, too, but I think vanilla is best. I see them often at Whole Foods in the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, Walnut Creek).
As for store-bought tart yogurt, have you found anything even palatable? I scarcely have. The Haagen Dasz one is okay, but not really worth it for me. When I was in Chicago for the summer, I found a line of tart yogurts by Stone Ridge Creamery that were really tasty (of course still not as good as Tuttimelon, Pinkberry, etc.), but I can't find them out here. :/

Lolia S said...

I've checked some Whole Foods in SF, San Ramon, etc. - haven't seen Stonyfield Farms fro-yo but I'll take a closer look. I haven't found a decent store-bought tart fro-yo. They have too much citric acid or lemon...they're all pretty bad. Stone Ridge Creamery - that sounds good - I haven't seen it but if I do I'll let you know (or if you do, let me know :-)).