Fro-yo girl here. It’s time to look about at the year in froyo in the Bay Area. Since I’ve moved to SoCal, this will be the last Bay Area yearly review.
Closings slightly outpaced openings. Most of the openings occurred in the South Bay (San Jose area), followed by San Francisco openings. New froyo shops continued to replace old ones (e.g., Pure Yum, Yogurt in Love, Over the Moon). With two new San Jose locations opening in 2014, Yogurtland has the most locations in the Bay Area of any chain. They plan to open a location in Mountain View, CA soon. Red Mango opened a location at the San Jose International Airport last month.
Bay Area Openings
- Easy Breezy Inner Sunset (San Francisco)
- Fusion Mix (Fremont)
- Honeyberry (Oakland)
- Loving Cup Hayes Valley (San Francisco)
- Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt (Oakridge Mall, San Jose & Dublin)
- Over the Moon Ice Cream & Cookies (2 locations, they took over Yogorino’s SF locations and kept the yogurt machines, and they still serve froyo)
- Pure Yum (Fremont, former FreshBerry location)
- Red Mango (San Jose International Airport)
- Souvla (San Francisco)
- YoDo Yogurt (Campbell)
- Yogurt in Love (Los Gatos)
- Yogurtland Brokaw, Cambrian Park, Cottle Rd. (San Jose)
- Yogurtland (Morgan Hill)
Most of the closings occurred in San Jose. Notable closings include Yogurt Delite’s two locations in San Jose. Both locations survived for decades. Tuttimelon closed its flagship Irving St. location (they moved from the original location on Irving St. to a larger location – the larger location closed) and one of its earliest locations on Chestnut St. in San Francisco. Icebee was the earliest self-serve shops in SF and it recently closed. Yogen Fruz opened its first location in the Bay Area at the Embarcadero Center in San Francisco in early 2008, that location closed this year. Tutti Frutti closed several locations this year. The shops that closed were diverse – some were new self-serve shops and others had been around for decades. Some sold froyo only and others like Next Door Sweets and Good Bellies had many offerings plus froyo.
Bay Area Closings
- Cultive (San Francisco)
- Fro-Yo Shoppe (Mountain View)
- Froyo Delight (San Jose)
- Gaga Yogurt (San Jose)
- Good Bellies (Oakland)
- Icebee (San Francisco & San Jose)
- Next Door Sweets (San Francisco)
- Tuttimelon Chestnut St. & Irving St. (San Francisco)
- Tutti Frutti Oak Grove & Palos Verdes Mall (Walnut Creek)
- Tutti Frutti (Milpitas)
- Tutti Frutti Silver Creek (San Jose)
- Yogen Fruz (San Francisco)
- Yogurt Delite (Blossom Valley & Meridian, San Jose)
- Yogurt Village (San Jose)
- Yogurt Walk (Dublin)
- Yotopia (San Francisco)
More froyo shops are on the way in 2015.
- Easy Breezy Castro (San Francisco)
- Yogurtland (Mountain View)
For a comprehensive review of froyo events in 2014, check out IFYA's post on key events in the froyo industry in 2014 post.
You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.
Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.