Saturday, July 3, 2010
Chicago Fro-yo Report, Part 2
Fro-yo girl here. I'm back from Chicago with an update on the Chicago fro-yo scene.
1) Starfruit opened another location, their fourth, this one is inside the Merchandise Mart. It took me awhile to find it; it's not in the food court area by Dunkin Donuts. The Merchandise Mart is huge. I walked by the Block 37 location and noticed that the Beard Papa across from Starfruit serves Haagen Dazs coffee/smoothie drinks.
2) Forever Yogurt just opened in Wicker Park, bringing self-serve fro-yo close to downtown. It didn't seem much different than your average self-serve fro-yo shop in California, only more expensive (almost 50 cents an ounce). There's plenty of variety in fro-yo (14 flavors) and toppings. The fro-yo was runny. They plan on adding bagels soon. Bagels and fro-yo, I haven't seen that combination before.
3) No visible signs of the future Red Mango at O'Hare (space B5)
4) There's tart fro-yo in Chinatown at Joy Yee Plus and it's good. I think it's the only place to get fro-yo in Chinatown but tapioca drinks are everywhere.
I forgot to visit the new Freshberry location (211 E. Ontario St.) and the new Berry Moon.
You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.
* STARFRUIT CAFE: 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza, Chicago, IL
* FOREVER YOGURT: 1924 W North Ave, Chicago, IL
* JOY YEE PLUS: 2159 S China Place, Chicago, IL