Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Blue Hill Savory Yogurt Review





Fro-yo girl here. I first heard about savory vegetable-based yogurt when Blue Hill launched in late 2013. During a recent trip to Whole Foods, I spotted Blue Hill in the yogurt section. Whole Foods carried four flavors: Carrot, Butternut Squash, Beet and Sweet Potato. One 5.3 oz cup is $2.79.

Blue Hill Yogurt is made with milk from grass-fed cows in the Northeast. They’re made with vegetable puree and have a lower sugar content. The vegetables are sourced from small farms in the Northeast, including the Blue Hill Farm. Some flavors like Butternut Squash are seasonal.

Available flavors:
  • Carrot
  • Sweet Potato
  • Beet
  • Butternut Squash
  • Tomato
  • Parsnip

The packaging is gorgeous: black background, white typeface, colorful vegetable (squash and tomatoes are technically fruit) in the center and colored foil tops. The yogurt has a vibrant color saturated hue. The consistency is not as thick as Greek yogurt. It’s about average in thickness. The back of the label has suggested mix-ins and a recipe.

Beet yogurt: The sourness and the acidity struck me first. The beet flavor was difficult to discern. I could taste the raspberries more. It tasted like sour raspberry vinegar which I didn’t really appreciate. However once sweetened with agave, I could taste the earthy beets and the tanginess was quite nice.

Butternut squash yogurt: Very sour, the sourness interferes with the appreciation of the flavors and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove). Once I added agave nectar, it tasted like a cold butternut squash soup. The flavor was interesting but I wouldn’t eat a lot of it. I prefer hot butternut squash soup.

One serving of beet yogurt (150g) has 100 calories, 180mg of sodium, 4.5g total fat, and 10g of sugar.

Ingredients (Beet yogurt): Pasteurized organic whole milk, beets, honey, raspberries, beet juice concentrate, sea salt, red wine vinegar, live active cultures

These yogurt flavors are intriguing but I can’t see eating a cup for breakfast or even a snack. My advice: use for cooking or if eating out of the cup, sweeten to taste. I appreciate low sugar yogurt but these yogurts are just sour; they also have a fair amount of salt. My labne has 15 mg of salt for each 30g serving, Blue Hill has more than double the amount of salt.

Visit bluehillyogurt.com to look for a stockist near you.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: