Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Froyo Guide to San Ramon, CA

Yogurtland San Ramon, 2009 - old logo, pink & green mochi

One of my cups of froyo from Yogurtland San Ramon


Fro-yo girl here. San Ramon, located in Contra Costa County, is home to about 79,000. It’s one of the safest places to live in California. I used to work there and was at the Yogurtland grand opening on July 24, 2009. Top This! was the first froyo shop in the area (though older shops may have existed) that I knew about though there was a TCBY that predated Top This!

Today, there’s just one froyo shop left, Menchie’s. Menchie’s first opened at 3104 Crow Canyon Pl, Suite B, in 2016.

Former Froyo Shops in San Ramon


  • Frozen Café, 2475 San Ramon Valley Blvd, Ste 4, opened in 2014 and closed in 2020. It seems like the pandemic is what led to the closure. They served one froyo flavor, vanilla, and Dole Whip. They also had crepes, smoothies, ice cream, milkshakes, and floats.
  • Pinkberry, 3104 Crow Canyon Pl, Ste 2, took over my regular lunch spot, a hot dog shop called The Dog Out. This branch opened in 2010 and closed in 2015.
  • TCBY, 2475 San Ramon Valley Blvd, closed November 2008. I’m not sure when it first opened.
  • Top This! Yogurt Bar, 11020 Bollinger Canyon Rd, was the first self-serve froyo shop in San Ramon. I went once in 2009 and thought it was pretty awful.
  • Tutti Frutti, 2475 San Ramon Valley Blvd, opened in the same shopping center as Safeway in 2010. It was a smaller location with a self-serve format. The shop closed in 2012 and Frozen Café took over the space in 2014.
  • Yogurtland, 152 Sunset Dr., opened in July 2009 at the Shops at Bishop Ranch and closed in 2020. It was a great location. I visited many times and only have positive memories. It's where I honed my froyo swirling skills. Yogurtland San Ramon wasn’t the first Yogurtland that I’d been to (Yogurtland Cupertino was my first) but it was my regular Yogurtland, the one where I got my first Yogurtland Tokidoki & Sanrio spoons. It was only $0.30/oz when they first opened.

San Ramon mostly had national froyo franchises but there were a few independents.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: