Thursday, October 19, 2017

Vietnamese Yogurt (aka Ya-ua or Da-ua) at Thanh Loi Tofu




Fro-yo girl here. I’ve been a fan of Vietnamese yogurt for years. The best place to look for Vietnamese yogurt (aka, da-ua or ya-ua) is a Vietnamese deli, tofu, or sandwich shop. I know that I’ve seen it at multiple Lee’s Sandwiches locations. Vietnamese yogurt is typically flavored with condensed milk. Have you ever had condensed milk with original tart froyo? It’s so good. Yes, condensed milk is sweet but it brings out the tanginess of the yogurt.

Vietnamese yogurt is usually been thick and creamy, on the sweet side but very tangy. the texture is like a pudding. One place I’d like to recommend is Thanh Loi Tofu in South El Monte, CA. They make their own soy milk, tofu pudding, tofu, fish cakes, sausages, waffle cookies, and more. Look in the refrigerated case for their yogurt ($1.85). It comes in a clear cup. I like to add fresh fruit to the cup and sometimes granola or nuts. Their soy milk is wonderful too. The unsweetened soy milk is naturally sweet.




However, I don't recommend the Vietnamese yogurt at Tam's Bakery (9783 Westminster Ave. #104, Garden Grove, CA). It doesn't have that lovely tang that most Vietnamese yogurt has. It's made with dry whole milk rather than condensed milk. 

Tip: Look for condensed milk as an ingredient.

I’ve been contemplating what would happen if I were to stick the cup in the freezer. I think it could be something magical.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

* THANH LOI TOFU: 9646 E Garvey Ave., Ste. 104, El Monte, CA 91733

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: