Monday, June 17, 2013

Los Angeles Fro-yo: Frog Frozen Yogurt Bar



Fro-yo girl here. Los Angeles, the land of fro-yo, is home to interesting frozen yogurt shops like Frog in Hollywood. Frog has the look and feel of a nightclub and is open late hours to match. I love that it also supports local artists. 

Frog opened its doors last year and its wall has been featured the work of several local artists. The first artist featured was Ryan Graeff of Restitution Press with a graffiti mural of iconic buildings in LA. T-shirts with the Restitution Press design were available for sale with proceeds going to the charity of the artist’s choice. Currently, Frog’s wall features the work of Plastic God, with half the proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. I recognized a few people in the mural of pop icons, including Audrey Hepburn, Rhianna, Steven Spielberg, Marilyn Monroe, Super Mario, etc. I admired Plastic God's work for the 50th Anniversary of Sanrio. Limited edition, numbered and signed prints are available and there will be an auction of the individual portraits that make up the mural. For additional information, contact Frog.

I really like the design of Frog which is sleek and urban and doesn’t have any cutesy frogs around. The little round lights on the ceiling change colors. I love the lacy white tables and chairs. The toppings bar is pristine and overflowing. Sampling is actively encouraged and the customer service is warm and friendly.

I’m currently saving their spoons, which come in two colors, clear and pink and say Frog on them. Rumor has it that new spoons could be on the way soon.

I recently had the chance to learn more about Frog from the owner, Damien B.

FYG: What inspired you to open a frozen yogurt shop? 
DB: I was working 60 hours a week in reality tv production over the past 10 years. When I was home on break from shooting, I would have breakfast everyday across the street from the Frog location. I would stare across at an old photo lab, and I would keep asking myself how much longer can that place stay in business? I would love to put a late-night froyo place there. I was inspired by the resurgence of restaurants and nightlife in the Cahuenga Corridor and wanted to be a part of it. 

FYG: What's your favorite Frog creation?
DB: For my favorite creation I put cinnamon toast crunch in the bottom of the bowl and add cinnamon graham cracker yogurt and top it off with hot caramel sauce and graham cracker dust and cinnamon sugar.

FYG: What's the story behind the name, Frog?
DB: When I first began to conceptualize the name for the store, it was first going to be "Yogurt Love" I thought that was too similar to Yogurtland, so I changed it to "igyo" which looked really cool as a graphic, but may have confused many. Igyo means "cutsie" in korean. One syllable words always seem to be memorable, so was born Frog. From the "fr" in frozen and "og" in yogurt. My only rules for the brand were no green and no frog-like characters. I opted for bright magenta-pink and still we have no frog mascot.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

* FROG FROZEN YOGURT BAR: 1550 Cahuenga Blvd., Hollywood, CA 90028

No comments: