Saturday, January 22, 2011

A New Crop of Yogurt Drinks


Fro-yo girl here. I gave up on Yakult style yogurt drinks months ago (they were too sweet) but I kept seeing new yogurt drinks and I couldn't resist trying a few. I thought these drinks might be different from the Yakult knockoffs.

* YOGUR DE SAVILLA: This line of Korean non-carbonated drinks comes in a variety of flavors including pineapple, peach, plain and mango and is available in two sizes. I tried the mango flavor which contains water, milk, mango puree, and sugar. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor; it wasn't as sweet as Yakult and it had a milky (but not tangy), lightly sweet flavor with tiny chunks of aloe vera. It doesn't seem to have yogurt, though I thought it did based on the product name. I liked how it was light and refreshing and I liked the aloe vera chunks. 4 out of 5 stars.



* O LATTE: Another non-carbonated Korean drink, the can says it's milky and fruity. I tried the original flavor ($1.09 at Kukje for 8.11 fl. oz). It was very sweet, refreshing and milky, a little tangy but not as strong or tangy as Yakult. I found it drinkable but too sweet. Ingredients include: water, fructose, pear juice, citric acid, maltrodextrin, calcium, skim milk powder, and artificial flavor (yogurt, citrus). 3.5 out of 5 stars.


* JAMBA JUICE fruit & yogurt blends: these new probiotic drinks come in three flavors (vibrant blueberry, strawberries alive, thrivin' mango) and contain yogurt, soy milk, fruit and Jamba's probiotic boost. I tried vibrant blueberry. It's decent - reminds me of a thinner smoothie. The flavor was sour rather than tangy. I liked that it was freshly made but it didn't have enough yogurt flavor for me. The drinks are $3.50 for 12 ozs. and $4.30 for 16 ozs. 3.5 out of 4 stars.

Ironically, the drink I liked the best didn't have yogurt!

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

No comments: