Thursday, December 31, 2020

My Best Froyo Swirl of 2020

Fro-yo girl here. What a strange year…I’ve barely swirled any froyo cups since mid-March, due to the COVID-19 outbreak. It’s mid-December and I probably won’t serve my own froyo again this year, though I still expect to buy more froyo.

My best looking froyo swirl of 2020 is…a cup of Yogurtland’s Classic Cookies & Cream froyo with toffee bits, crushed Oreos and chocolate chips. I swirled it in March 2020 at Yogurtland San Gabriel, right before the lockdown. It’s a nicely defined swirl with a peak that points up and the toppings look neatly placed.

This year I consumed 153 cups, pints or froyo novelties. I’m guessing I’ll reach 160 by the end of the year, the same amount that I consumed last year. Most of the froyo shops in my area stayed open even during the pandemic lockdown. My first cup of the year was from Yogurtland San Gabriel in January (probably January 1).

Looking for trends, I found the following:

Most froyo shops stopped offering self-serve due to the pandemic. This year, I dispensed my own froyo (aka, self-swirled) 24% of the time. Last year, 64% of my froyo was self-swirled. Big difference!

Single flavor (90%) vs. more than one flavor per cup (10%) in 2020. This was almost identical to last year, even though froyo shops are offering differently now. Most aren’t offering samples, so I chose more than one flavor in a few cases, just to try a new flavor. But some self-serve places that offer full service are also limiting how many flavors you can select – e.g., when you order a small at some Menchie’s locations, you can only choose one flavor.

Dairy (75%) vs. non-dairy (25%) in 2020. Last year, 76% of my cups were non-dairy. I’m so consistent without trying to be - scary.

You can see every cup that I consumed on Pinterest:

https://www.pinterest.com/froyogirl/2020-froyo-consumed-by-me/

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: