Saturday, December 22, 2018

More Froyo Shop Closures: Pinkberry Santana Row, Yoppi Yogurt (California St.) San Francisco, Cuppa San Francisco


Fro-yo girl here. We’re a few days away from winter, when most of the froyo news is not positive. Thanks to Tracy T., I learned about the December closure of Pinkberry Santana Row and the closure of Yoppi Yogurt on California St. in San Francisco, CA. I also found out that Cuppa (formerly Rockit Swirl) in Glen Park, San Francisco, CA closed this month.

Pinkberry Santana Row (368 Santana Row, Suite 1020, San Jose, CA 95128) turned 10 this month and promptly closed. They signed a 10-year lease and the lease was up. Santana Row refused to extend the lease. I remember attending the grand opening event in January 22, 2009, with Yelp friend, Ann L. They set up a tent outside and had a VIP list. I’m sure that I still have the t-shirt they gave me that night.

Yoppi Yogurt at 101 California St. in San Francisco, CA was one of several Yoppi locations that opened in the FiDi area in 2010. I thought Yoppi had cute signs but was never a fan of their frozen yogurt. I remember going to the California St. location with Genevieve Y. in 2010. The froyo was very icy at that time. I don’t think I ever went back. At that time, I was a regular at Tuttimelon and I would have gone to YoCup more often if it were convenient.

Cuppa (2810 Diamond St., San Francisco, CA) opened in March 2017. Before it was Cuppa, there was a froyo shop called Rockit Swirl in the same location and before RockitSwirl, it was Eggettes. Eggettes first introduced frozen yogurt at the Glen Park location in 2009. Cuppa served “bubble tea, froyo, smoothies, snacks and more.” When I visited, it didn’t seem that different from Rockit Swirl, though they refreshed the interior.

In a few years, most of the new boba places are going to close.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: