Friday, August 31, 2018

Mystery of Yogurtland’s Generic Pink Yogurt Spoons


Fro-yo girl here. About three weeks ago, I noticed that my Yogurtland switched to generic pink yogurt spoons. These generic spoons do not say Yogurtland on them. I thought they ran out of spoons and were waiting for a new shipment…however, it’s been three weeks, they still only give out generic pink spoons. Not only that, but I went to another Yogurtland location which only had generic pink spoons. 

A quick search on Instagram revealed that most of the recent Yogurtland pictures feature generic pink spoons.

Could this be the end of the Yogurtland’s custom spoons? 


The trade war with China is driving up costs of yogurt cups and spoons, according to my packaging source.

Somehow my froyo doesn’t taste as good with a generic spoon, and it certainly doesn’t look as nice. But I do have to ask myself whether I'd rather pay more for froyo or have generic spoons. I guess generic spoons are okay if they have special spoons for campaigns. But what if the Yogurtland cups go away too? Hmm...


In a 2012 interview with Yogurtland founder, Phillip Chang, he said:

"Fifteen million spoons are used a year in our stores. So we made our spoon really substantial. All the customers notice the spoons and they keep them. … They have them in their kitchen drawers.

Chang says the fact that Yogurtland’s signature spoons are reusable makes them “green,” something that he says is important to his business fundamentals.

“I can’t accept something that is used once and thrown away,” he says. “It doesn’t go with my philosophy of frugality.”

Another bonus: “Little kids love the spoon,” Chang says, making the one in the kitchen drawer a constant reminder of Yogurtland."


Speaking of cups, I wonder why Yogurtland is still using the Joy cup design? That Joy promotion was last summer’s promotion. The Joy cups have been around for a year now. 

Thanks, Yogurtland, for reaching out to tell me that Yogurtland custom spoons will return. The Joy cup design became the standard cup design because they liked the design so much, but a new cup design will be released in 2019.

You know you love me. X0 X0, fro-yo girl.

Looking for more frozen yogurt news, discussion boards, and resources? Check out the International Frozen Yogurt Association website at http://internationalfrozenyogurt.com/. The IFYA is the independent voice of the frozen yogurt industry.

No comments: