Saturday, June 12, 2010

Soft Serve Fro-yo vs. Soft Serve Premium Ice Cream


Fro-yo girl here. It took me awhile to get here (would have been there earlier but they don't offer fro-yo) but I finally tried Bi-Rite's Creamery's soft serve ice cream, made with Straus Organic dairy products. I think they only have one size, cup or cone $3.50. They carry two flavors a day (see picture for the flavor schedule) and they have gourmet toppings. I was somewhat disappointed to see so many conventional flavors (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry). I was expecting creative flavors from Bi-Rite.

* Mexican chocolate soft serve: it's nice, has a deep, fudge flavor, smooth, creamy with a small kick (not very spicy, but you can tell that there's something extra)
* Vanilla soft serve: smooth, creamy, pleasing



Their soft serve does taste like it's made with better ingredients and it's good but I prefer soft-serve fro-yo and even Bi-Rite ice cream. I like how Bi-Rite incorporates additional texture into their ice cream. My favorites are Ricanelas (cinnamon with chunks of snickerdoodle cookies) and Coffee Toffee (Ritual Roasters coffee ice cream with toffee chunks). You can't get that texture in fro-yo (though of course you can add toppings) or soft serve ice cream. Good fro-yo tastes as good as or better than soft serve ice cream, it's lower in fat and may have live and active cultures. Yes, I prefer fro-yo.

* Bi-Rite Creamery: 3692 18th St. San Francisco, CA

2 comments:

Bonnibella said...

I've been meaning to try bi-rite soft serve. Did you know Beautifull now serves Straus soft serve too?

Lolia S said...

I've had the fro-yo at both Beautifull locations. I know it's Straus but it's not good. The texture is too icy and gritty. I really don't like it and wouldn't get it again.

- FYG